Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Slowing Down My Life

I am being gentle with myself. I am being gentle with myself. I am, I am, I am! I am committed to talking kindly and compassionately to myself. THIS is where the change is beginning, not in how many times I stop and breathe before moving on to the next thing. Not in how much fiber I eat each day or how many times I can let go of a sugar (or cheese!) craving. No, the CHANGE is coming closer and closer, the more I am able to be kind to myself. My inner talk is changing, has to keep changing, and that is the only thing that is going to help me to slow down my life, to lighten up my heart and body and mind, and to let go of the extra weight that has been clinging to me for so long. Yesterday I didn't rush around with a long list of to-do's. Actually, that is more because I had to drive Jeff to Merri's house at 5:30 a.m. and I didn't get much sleep and was tired. I actually laid down in the afternoon, flanked on one side by big yellow lab Suzy and on the other side by soft black cat (so much more than a cat) Sasha. And napped for about an hour. Slowing down like that was good for my body, mind and soul. I did do some work, but I also spent some time in front of the tv with the tv OFF getting ready for the Program Team call tonight. AND... I also spend a few hours going through the gluten-free books and culling recipes and resources for this new path I have chosen. Still, I was multi-tasking. Maybe I need to start thinking about single-tasking! How fun/difficult would THAT be? Am reminded of the story of the monk whose teacher told his students to do only one thing at a time. When you are eating, eat. When you are gardening, garden. When you are brushing your teeth, brush your teeth. Etcetera. And that is what they all strived to do. And then one day at breakfast, the monk saw his teacher eating and reading. And he was shocked! He confronted his teacher on this, and the teacher smiled and said, "When you are eating and reading, eat and read." I love that story. And yet I admit, sometimes I use it as an excuse to multi-task. But if I'm honest, I will admit that most of the time when I am multi-tasking, I am somewhere else in my mind. If I am "eating and reading," I am usually also thinking about what's next on my schedule, or I am too focused on the book and not on the food at all. And so it goes. It's a matter of balance. And I am writing this blog to REMIND myself about being mindful. To continue to plant the seed in my mind that this is what I want my life to be about now. I am trying to build a new neural pathway of mindfulness into my brain, and this is the best way I know how to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment