Monday, November 21, 2011

The Sitting Still Experiment


These days I'm often recovering or "coming back from" a chemo treatment, so it looks like this experiment is transforming itself into one of sitting still instead of standing still. I am not able to take long walks with Suzy every morning. Once in a while I do walk to the end of the driveway, or the path from the parking lot to the Dog Park.

But mostly my days revolve around sitting. On the sofa (right side, cushion vertically up so my head can lean back), on the brown recliner in my Quiet Room, in the car.

I am enjoying all of this sitting still, to tell the truth. Although, if I'm not careful, I see that I can "zone out" just as easily while sitting quietly as I can when I have lots more energy and am rushing about on two feet "getting things done."

It all comes down to what's going on in my mind. I can be sitting in an easy chair in silence but the thoughts can still be going 100 mph in my head. Or I can be rushing around doing 4 errands in the course of an hour but my busy mind can be "sitting still" enough for me to remain centered and calm in the midst of time crunches and to-do lists.

So it all comes down to my thoughts, my mind. Mindfulness. It's not about my body sitting still, but MY MIND sitting still. That is where the true lesson lies for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment